At Kai Law Group P.S., we want our clients to go into legal situations with answers to all their questions and an understanding of the next steps they need to take. Below are a handful of questions and answers we’ve provided to people in Washington. If you would like to get specific answers to your questions, we encourage you to call our Lakewood office at 253-270-0025 or send us an email to schedule an appointment.

Immigration Questions

Q: Do I need to hire an immigration attorney?

A: The complexity of U.S. immigration laws and an average person’s understanding of those laws can lead to misunderstandings that can result in the wrong forms being filed, important documents not getting filed with an application, or missing crucial deadlines, just to name a few. These errors can be costly in terms of time. It’s always a good idea to speak to an immigration attorney to discuss the details of your case, so they can provide you with meaningful advice on how best to proceed.

Q: I’ve been waiting for months. How do I know if USCIS received my application?

A: When USCIS receives your application, they will send you a letter indicating that your application has been received. This is called a receipt notice. Because of the large volume of applications the office receives, the waiting time for processing an application can take months or even years, depending on an individual’s circumstances.

The best thing to do is wait until you receive a response from the USCIS office indicating that: 1) Your application has been approved, 2) The office needs additional documents, or 3) Your application has been denied. However, if you have questions or concerns about your application, you can always hire an immigration attorney to inquire on your behalf about your initial filing as well as review it to see if anything was missed.

Family Law Questions

Q: I want to get a divorce, do I need to have a reason to divorce?

A: Washington is a no-fault divorce state. What this means is you do not need a reason for filing for dissolution of marriage. You can simply state “irreconcilable differences” and file for divorce.

Q: Things have changed and now our child custody order is out of date. Can one or both parents request a change?

A: If your circumstances have changed significantly and your child custody order – or even a child support order – is no longer appropriate for your situation, you may initiate a court action to request the modification of your parenting plan.

Kai Law Group; Your “Keeper Of The Keys”